Friday, June 6, 2008

We're all connected

Lately, I've become more and more intrigued by the various Social Networking sites. I've been a user of LinkedIn.com for a very long time, but it seems to have finally gotten quite mainstream over the past few months. When you search for people you know, it's remarkable how many people you recognize from your personal or professional life. I find it to be a great tool to keep up with what people are doing with themselves and their careers. When I was interviewing for a job, I also found it very helpful as a tool to get some insight into the background of the person who would be doing the interviewing. It's always helpful to know your audience!

Most recently, I have finally succumbed to the lure of Facebook. I had previously resisted getting involved because I assumed facebook was more geared towards college-aged students and younger. I was really shocked to learn how many "older" folks like us are out there with Facebook profiles. So, I created a profile, added a few applications and have been enjoying keeping up with friends in a much more informal & casual version of LinkedIn.

I still think each site has it's strengths and can see them co-existing for quite a while. It's clear that marketing has been revolutionized by Social Networking as people are far quicker to trust the recommendation of a friend than by some anonymous commercial they watch on Television. I think we are just seeing the infancy of this phenomenon and it's exciting to see where we are heading. It's amazing to see all the various relationships and connections between people you didn't think had a connection. Eventually, I can see how we will all be connected in some way which has endless possibilities. If nothing else, it'll just be easier to play "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon!"

No comments: