Thursday, May 2, 2013

Born to Run

As everyone knows by now, I have decided to not seek election to a third term on the Board of Trustees.  After six years of serving the community, it was time to allow someone else to fill my seat and bring a new perspective.  When I think back on my time on the Board the things I am most proud of are my advocacy for fiscal responsibility, transparency and open communication with all residents.  However, accomplishing that required studying the issues, a willingness to speak up, making tough choices, taking strong positions and asking hard questions rather than simply accepting at face value everything that was handed to us.

As I have been listening to all the candidates running for the Board of Trustees, I have been impressed with them all, but there is one candidate that I have seen so far with the willingness and ability to carry on these critical traits.  That candidate is Rob Sandow.  I have known Rob Sandow for quite a while and always found him to be thoughtful, engaged and very knowledgeable on the issues around town.  As I have gotten to know him better, I have also found him to be incredibly passionate for South Orange, while also being approachable and open to suggestions and feedback.    Most importantly, he is well versed in the issues and is willing to challenge the status quo and ask the hard questions that need to be asked, both to ensure proper decisions are made and proper processes are followed, but also to ensure the public is properly informed about those decisions - before they are made and with full transparency.   Speaking from experience, I can tell you that these are all the right qualities needed most for a member of the Board of Trustees and something that is critically needed right now.

I have gotten to meet all seven candidates for Trustee and found them all to be honorable and decent people who want to do their part for the Village.  I commend all of the candidates for their willingness to run for office and wish them all luck.  We are very fortunate that there are seven committed and qualified individuals who are willing to volunteer for our community.  While we can only choose three out of the seven candidates in the election on May 14, my vote for one of those seats will be for Rob Sandow and I hope you will join me in supporting him.

No comments: